Thursday, December 21, 2006

Generation Gap

It seems to be that every older generation looks down on every younger generation. Perhaps due to lack of wisdom even though the elder once suffered the same lack. At times I feel as though I have been here longer than the rest of my generation, because of that I look down on them. Not necessarily because of more experience, but because I’ve heard enough stories in my time to have a good idea. Though there are members of my generation who have more experience and are wiser than the rest, I find these people interesting and they make for good company. I look down on the majority of its members for their “I don’t care” attitude. They take the future itself, an enormous power, and wield it like a child who’s found his father’s gun. Now I ask myself, “Did the generation before me have the same attitude?” or is ours simply unique in its lack of consideration for anytime but the now. This leads me to be ambitious to see what leaders will arise; will they have the same attitude? Will they only shrug their shoulders and turn on the television, and wait for someone else to shape the world. In this time, old policies are falling, leaving the canvas clean for us to make the first swipe with a brush or line with a pencil; but everyone needs to make their mark and spread their colors so that we are all represented. We can change the world, all I’m asking is that you help.

3 comments:

Ms. Smith said...

Well, this is very interesting.

I don’t know that any one-generation has looked down on another, but I do think that the times in which we grow up make a big difference in our opinion of another.

I am impressed by your thoughts on this issue.

My thought is that (some not all) young people seem to have more advantages and education but less respect for people and things. We are a throw away society.

Manners have deteriorated to the point that anything goes.

This is one of the small things that make me crazy.
Some call teachers by their sir name and never put a Mr. or Ms. in front of it. It drives me nuts. But it starts with small things.

Manners are disappearing. Rudeness is all too common.

At the same time volunteerism is higher and individual attributes have increased.

If you had asked my parents this question they would have said the same thing.

I think that my generation has got to take responsibility for the mess we are in and fix it.

MHanson said...

You kids don't know what you are talking about. Why, back in my day ...

Just kidding. I think you are more aware of what is going on than most people your age. In fact, I would guess that you are more aware than most people who have ever been your age.

I know people my age who still are not aware of things going on around them. It has taken me a long time to get there myself. People tend to only focus on the things that give them immediate satisfaction. Thats why presidential assasinations and events like Pearl Harbor or 9/11 have such a big affect on us. It forces people to stop looking at only at ourselves and see the world for what it is.

It saddens me to see people have that "I don't care" attitude as well. It usually means that they are self-centered and believe that our leaders will always do what is in our best interest.

We can change the world. We have to start with ourselves first and then we can set an example for others to follow. It is hard to accept this as truth. It would be so much easier if we could just tell or lead people to the same conclusions we have about life. Unfortunately, no one, I repeat, no one changes their mind unless it fits into their own world view. The only way to change behavior is to change how people view the world. The only way to do that is to set an example that others can say, "Oh, Maybe I need to act that way." Talking about it only allows people a way to argue what they already believe.

Often it feels like you are throwing (stuff) at the wall and hoping it sticks.

I've rambled long enough and haven't made myself crystal clear which is kind of my point. The bottom line is: Actions are stronger than words.

Unknown said...

It's not that I look down on your generation. I don't. I look at all of you here and know that our world is going to be a better place because of your passion and your conviction and your tolerance and your thoughtfulness.

But, I'm worried. I'm worried because everyone seems to be in such a hurry. Everyone seems to need all the latest gismos and gadgets and games. Everyone seems to want what they want when they want it. Too many seem to believe that their needs are more important than others. I'm worried that the world is becoming polarized into the haves and the have nots.

The world is changing quickly and sometimes my generation doesn't understand that the skills you will need to be successful aren't the same skills we needed. You need to be able to communicate effectively, you need to be able to manage your time effectively, you need to be able to adapt to change quickly, you need to be able to be adaptable. You'll have more opportunity than ever before. The challenge is how to deal with all that.

There are others like you out there. There are other young people who are thinkers and who realize what a challenge you face. They might not get as much attention, but they're there. Change can happen. Slowly maybe. More slowly than we'd like. But it can happen. And it all begins with a single voice. There's no reason that voice can't be yours.